Monday, March 22, 2010

Finally Spring!

HAPPY 49th BIRTHDAY!!!!
to my friend Julie at 47 and Starting Over
I hope you have a wonderful day. 

I do apologize for my absence the past two weeks - I am the planner for one of the biggest conferences my agency hosts - around 500 health department-type people for a 4-day conference.  I have been doing the conference for about 12 years now, so it almost runs itself.  But there are some things I have to do and they wind up being all consuming.  But the conference was last week - it was very successful and now I am back to my normal life.

I have lived in Ohio my entire life,  so I am not one to really complain about winter.  It's a fact of life. I'm not 5 anymore, so if I truly disliked the cold and the snow I could pack up my suitcase and head to a warmer climate.  But I have a warm house, plenty of coffee and lots of quilts to hold me through.  (Though I must admit that I HATE wearing shoes with backs in them, so it's difficult to get me to wear boots - even with a foot of snow).  I am SO done with winter this year. The heavy snow we got smooshed down our shrubs in front of our house. Shrubs are pretty resillient and should bounce back - but not ours - the snow broke 2 of them in half. So it looks like we'll be pulling them out now. We had lots of heavy snow on the roof, so when it started melting, we had water running in our basement laundry room. We have a 2 story house - the water from the melting snow was running down our stove & vent pipe and continuing all the way down between the walls to the basement. So I guess I am complaining - a little.

I was more than thrilled when I saw this two weeks ago! 
The first sign of Spring - these two little, brave crocuses were peering out around our mailbox.  They have since been joined my many more of their brothers and sisters.  The weather is supposed to be more normal this week. Over the weekend I was able to open the windows and air out the house - that's such a nice feeling after being closed up all winter.  It also makes the cats very happy.  So hopefully where you are the weather is lookin' up - get out there and enjoy some of that sunshine!

4 comments:

Julie D said...

Aw, thank you for the shout out!

I love seeing signs of spring. I was very excited to see some greenery popping up in my yard this weekend!!!!

Vanessa @ See Vanessa Craft said...

Happy Spring!! What a great pic!

gayle said...

It was a beautiful day here today!! I love spring!

Dana and Daisy said...

i always get excited at the first sightings of crocus in spring, too!