Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me!!

Hi!!  ::tap:: ::tap::: ::tap::  Is this thing on?

Today is my 50th birthday.  That in itself is an amazing accomplishment.  I look back on my life and wonder how I managed to make it this far. After all I grew up in a time when cars didn't have seat belts, we didn't wear bike helmets, and ritalin wasn't readily prescribed.  So, I'm thinkin' it's been by a sheer miracle!  But the truth of it is probably because I had a wonderful mother and grandparents who helped point me in the right direction.  I have fantastic friends who have seen me through the good, the bad and the ugly (and not necessarily in that order).  I share life with a guy I absolutely adore.  I have a career that has never stopped being fun for me (even after 27 years).  So maybe it is luck and I am one of the luckiest people on the planet.

But seriously, 50??  That's a half century!!!!  My mortgage will probably outlast me.  And, oh yeah, I got the AARP membership app in the mail last week - very funny. Ugh!!!  Someone recently told me that 50 is the new 30.  hhhmmm  that has some appeal.  I always considered my 30s to be the best because by then I knew who I was, what I wanted, i was responsible and grounded. So if I could just maintain that it won't be so bad. 

I also keep hearing that it's certainly better than the alterrnative.  Since there is only one alternative that I know of - that's probably right.  Afterall, it could be worse - I could be a teenager again! Therefore, I won't cry, I won't whine, I won't go back to bed and refuse to get up.  But I do, however, refuse to just embrace it without a fight.  I will hide the gray hair (I forget what color my hair is supposed to be anyway), I will fight the wrinkles, and I will buy only cute reading glasses.  I will face this 50 thing with as much courage and grace as I can muster. 

If all else fails there is comfort in knowing that Geritol has a high alcohol content.

7 comments:

OHN said...

Happy birthday and welcome to our world (blogging and the 50's;)

(I found you from 47 and starting over)

Oh, yeah, the AARP crap....at least you can get a discount in some places, though you have to actually show the damn card and admit you are eligible :)

My Aimless Infatuation said...

Happy Birthday LeeAnn,Nice to meet you,(Julie introduced us).So happy to meet new bloggers from my generation. I'm fairly new to this blog world also,maybe we can all learn together. Hope you enjoy this as much as I do.Have a wonderful day and visit me sometime.

Julie D said...

Happy birthday my dear old friend (and I mean old in the sense of longevity of the friendship...not your current 40-10 age.)

I hope it's been a wonderful day!

My Aimless Infatuation said...

LeeAnn,thank you so much for the follow...I'm looking forward to getting to know you.

Becky said...

I turned 50 this year too. Happy birthday from another "59-er"!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday to you.

What is it about the AARP trying to depress you on your birthday? My Boo got one of those the day after his birthday too. Not funny at all, unless they guarantee 50% off of everything, including health care.

Hope you have a wonderful day!

Lorraine said...

Hey, hey, Happy Birthday!!! I know this is just a tad late, but I've been catching up today - Julie sent me! Hope your day was great!!!